A judge has issued a definitive suspension of all work at the controversial Malecón Tajamar development in Cancún, where a mangrove forest was removed last month in the middle of the night.
Although it isn’t yet known how the judge reached the decision, Francisco Villarreal, a lawyer following the case, suggested “the judge must have decided to put the public interest over private ones, and guarantee the constitutional right to a healthy environment.”
Three other suspensions issued recently were temporary.
On Tuesday, which was World Wetlands Day, activists opposed to the development presented 916 more legal complaints against the project, and declared a national mourning for the “systematic destruction of wetlands throughout the country.”
In filing their complaints the protesters said they wished to unmask the “false and manipulated” official information regarding the Tajamar development, among other abuses.
“México is in a bad situation today; the Yucatán peninsula has 55% of the mangrove forests of the country, and we have already lost half of them,” said Aracely Domínguez, dressed in black for the occasion.
The director of the Grupo Ecologista del Mayab said Tajamar was just one of many projects being planned in Cancún, the Mayan Riviera and Isla Mujeres, such as the RIU Hotel at Punta Nizuc and several hotel and condominium developments planned for the so-called Golden Mile, which begins 10 minutes south of the Cancún airport.
Domínguez said organizations opposed are ready to continue battling in the courts.
The Malecón Tajamar is a 58-hectare commercial and residential development in the central zone of Cancún, overlooking the Nichupté lagoon. Plans call for 50,000 square meters of office and commercial space, 3,600 homes, condominium towers and a church.
The project is being developed by the national tourism fund, Fonatur.