A Sinaloa newspaper and a news agency reported on Saturday that the six men abducted from a restaurant in Puerto Vallarta last Monday, including the son of drug lord Joaquín “El Chapo” Guzmán, have been released.
Ríodoce, a Sinaloa-based weekly newspaper that covers organized crime, said it had learned from two sources that Jesús Alfredo Guzmán Salazar was released late last week five days after he and five others were taken captive.
All six are believed by authorities to be members of the Sinaloa Cartel who had been attending a dinner party at La Leche restaurant.
Their abductors are suspected to be members of the rival Cártel Jalisco Nueva Generación (CJNG).
There has been no official report of the captives’ release nor a response to the report by Ríodoce.
Agence France-Presse also reported that the younger Guzmán had been freed, quoting an unnamed family member who said Guzmán is now in Sinaloa after negotations for the release of all six.
They were reported to be unharmed.
The Sinaloa Cartel and the CJNG are among Mexico’s most powerful drug trafficking organizations and are engaged in territorial battles. The latter is believed to have grown exponentially in the past year, according to the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration due to an alliance with the Arellano Félix cartel, provoking confrontations with the Sinaloa Cartel in Baja California over the control of drug smuggling into the U.S.