The Cocula garbage dump, and whether it was the grisly scene of a massive bonfire in which the bodies of 43 people were incinerated, will be under scrutiny by seven experts from five countries, said the Attorney General today.
Appearing before the Senate, Arely Gómez described the group of experts as a body of professionals who will determine what actually happened the night of September 26 last year.
The renewed investigation follows some damning findings announced last month by the Interdisciplinary Group of Independent Experts (GIEI) commissioned by the Inter-American Human Rights Commission to examine the investigation into the Iguala-Ayotzinapa case.
The federal investigation had concluded that 43 students of the Ayotzinapa teachers’ college had been killed and later incinerated at the garbage dump, but the GIEI rejected that conclusion, saying it was impossible.
The seven experts are René Colsaca of Canada, Ursula Whithman of Germany, John Dylan from the United States, Mario Saldaña, Ricardo Damían Torres and Enelio Torres García from Mexico and Antonio del Amo Rodríguez from Spain.
José Luis Torero, a Peruvian expert whom the GIEI had called on to look into the garbage dump fire theory, will also be invited to participate, Gómez said.
The Attorney General repeated that the case was not closed and that new lines of investigation had been opened with the result that new material authors had been identified.
The investigation will continue until the last person responsible has been consigned and held to account, she said.
Source: Milenio (sp)