Health officials in Scotland have issued a warning to travelers to Mexico to be wary of infection by the parasite cyclospora after visitors from the United Kingdom suffered food poisoning in the Riviera Maya.
The Daily Mail reported that dozens of tourists have been affected since June. They are believed to have eaten contaminated food in their hotels before suffering severe stomach cramps and diarrhea.
Health Protection Scotland issued an advisory saying that in the the majority of cases the travelers had been staying at all-inclusive resorts. Travelers should be aware of the outbreak, it said, and “maintain a high standard of food, water and personal hygiene.”
Infection can cause frequent, watery diarrhea, abdominal cramping, bloating, nausea, flatulence, low-grade fever, and loss of appetite and weight, said the agency. Individuals with underlying immune deficiency can be at risk of more severe infection.
A similar outbreak occurred last year when 79 people were confirmed to be carrying the infection when they returned to the UK.
This year’s victims were staying in various hotels in Cancún.
The city earned a different sort of acclaim last week when the travel website Trip Advisor ranked it as one of the five most expensive cities in which to spend a summer vacation.
Its average nightly hotel rate of US $329 came second to New York at $369. London, Tokyo and Paris were the other cities in the top five.