Sunday, February 15, 2026

Police officer killed in gunfire at home of retired archbishop

The home of Catholic Cardinal Norberto Rivera Carrera was the scene of a shootout between presumed thieves and his government-assigned security detail yesterday, leaving one police officer dead.

Men wearing military-like uniforms arrived at Rivera’s house in the Florida neighborhood of the borough of Álvaro Obregón yesterday afternoon, saying they had an envelope to deliver. When the door was opened they forced their way in and fired on security guards.

One of the police officers assigned to the security detail was shot three times and died shortly after.

“They gained access to the property but they never got more than three meters in,” Mexico City police chief Raymundo Collins Flores said.

The attackers fled in two SUVs, and escaped after a short vehicle chase.

Today, police located a suspect at a hospital in Lomas Verdes in México state where he was being treated for gunshot wounds. The 33-year-old was taken into custody.

Collins could not say if the attack had been targeting Rivera. But the archbishop of Mexico City between 1995 and 2017 was never at risk, he said.

Authorities continue to search for two other men.

Source: El Universal (sp)

Have something to say? Paid Subscribers get all access to make & read comments.
News quiz

The MND News Quiz of the Week: February 15th

0
Skaters, soccer stadia and sporting heroes: Have you been paying attention to the news this week?
Hombres juegan una partida de ajedrez en la Alameda Central, en el Centro Histórico, donde de manera habitual se reúnen los viernes

Mexico’s week in review: El Paso fiasco and China’s courtship complicate the diplomatic landscape

0
The grim discovery of the kidnapped miners' bodies in Concordia, Sinaloa, cast a dark shadow over a week already clouded by conflicting narratives from Washington, Beijing and Mexico City on matters of trade and security.
funeral in Zacatecas for miner

Sheinbaum casts doubt on ‘mistaken identity’ theory of Sinaloa miners’ abduction  

2
With five victims confirmed dead and five still missing, the president promised that investigators haven't ruled out the possibility of an extortion attempt gone wrong.
BETA Version - Powered by Perplexity