Sunday, February 22, 2026

Federal auditor finds fault with census of earthquake damage

The government’s census to assess damage and identify victims after last year’s two devastating earthquakes was incomplete and hindered the distribution of financial aid, the Federal Auditor’s Office (ASF) has found.

The ASF review of the census, which was conducted by the Secretariat of Agrarian Development and Urban Planning (Sedatu), determined that 2.45 million homes that sustained damage in either the September 7 or September 19 earthquakes were not identified by the federal department.

Sedatu only completed a census in 377 of 720 municipalities where the powerful quakes caused damage and consequently failed to include 8.75 million affected people on its registry.

“The results of the audit showed that in 2017, Sedatu did not collect information from all municipalities listed among those with natural disaster and extraordinary emergency declarations . . . It only carried out the process in 52.4% of affected municipalities and [Mexico City] boroughs,” the ASF said.

However, in municipalities where Sedatu did send personnel to conduct the census, the ASF also identified deficiencies.

Of 4.6 million homes located in the municipalities that were assessed, only around 172,000, or 3.7% of the total, were inspected.

Sedatu also supplied contradictory and duplicate information to the federal auditor and didn’t explain why it failed to carry out the census in all affected municipalities, the ASF said.

Rosario Robles is the secretary responsible for Sedatu, which has been accused of diverting large quantities of money through bogus companies.

More than a year after the twin temblors of September 2017, thousands of people in southern and central Mexico remain without adequate housing.

Reflecting the federal auditor’s finding, some people say that damage at their homes was never assessed and they didn’t receive any government aid to carry out repairs, while others have complained that the amounts they received were insufficient.

Up to 120,000 pesos (US $6,600 at the time) was granted to people who lost their homes completely due to collapse, severe ruptures or foundation displacement while owners of homes with repairable damage such as cracks in the floors or the partial collapse of a wall or roof received 30,000 pesos.

Source: Reforma (sp)

Have something to say? Paid Subscribers get all access to make & read comments.

President Sheinbaum urges calm after cartel boss’s death triggers unrest across Mexico

2
President Sheinbaum urges Mexicans to stay calm and trust official channels after a military operation killed cartel kingpin "El Mencho," triggering violent cartel reprisals nationwide.
Smoke billows above puerto vallarta

State, foreign governments issue shelter-in-place warnings as narco-blockades spread after cartel leader’s death

0
Following the death of one of Mexico's most-wanted cartel bosses, Mexico, the U.S., Canada, and other nations issued shelter-in-place alerts as blockades and arson swept across multiple Mexican states.
The entrance to the GDL airport

Airlines suspend some Jalisco flights due to security concerns; Bus service affected across the country

6
After videos of panic inside the Guadalajara International Airport spread on social media, the airport operator acknowledged "hysteria among passengers" but said that there had been no security incidents.
BETA Version - Powered by Perplexity