Monday, February 16, 2026

At least 16 dead in Oaxaca highway collision

The Oaxaca Attorney General’s Office (FGEO) has reported a preliminary toll of 16 people killed and 36 injured after a head-on collision between a bus and a truck near the Oaxaca-Puebla border early Tuesday.

The FGEO said in a statement that eight men, seven women and a girl were killed in the accident, which occurred on the Oaxaca-Cuacnopalan highway (Federal Highway 135D) at about 1:30 a.m. It said that the 36 people injured were taken to hospitals in the state of Puebla including the General Hospital of Tehuacán.

Oaxaca bus crash
Images posted on social media showed the scene of the crash, where a bus and truck collided head-on. (ANGESC7/X)

The bus left Oaxaca on Monday night and was transporting residents of that state as well as foreign migrants, the FGEO said.

It said that bus passengers reported “mechanical failures” and that they were “probably” the cause of the crash.

According to the Oaxaca government, at least 24 of those injured in the accident are Venezuelans, three of whom are children. As of 1 p.m. Mexico City time, authorities hadn’t released the names and nationalities of any of the people who died. It was unclear whether the drivers of the bus and truck were among the dead.

The accident came almost seven weeks after a bus crash in the Mixteca region of Oaxaca left a death toll of  29 people. Earlier this month, 18 people were killed when a bus veered off a highway in Nayarit and plunged into a ravine.

With reports from El Universal and El Financiero 

Have something to say? Paid Subscribers get all access to make & read comments.
News quiz

The MND News Quiz of the Week: February 15th

0
Skaters, soccer stadia and sporting heroes: Have you been paying attention to the news this week?
Hombres juegan una partida de ajedrez en la Alameda Central, en el Centro Histórico, donde de manera habitual se reúnen los viernes

Mexico’s week in review: El Paso fiasco and China’s courtship complicate the diplomatic landscape

0
The grim discovery of the kidnapped miners' bodies in Concordia, Sinaloa, cast a dark shadow over a week already clouded by conflicting narratives from Washington, Beijing and Mexico City on matters of trade and security.
funeral in Zacatecas for miner

Sheinbaum casts doubt on ‘mistaken identity’ theory of Sinaloa miners’ abduction  

2
With five victims confirmed dead and five still missing, the president promised that investigators haven't ruled out the possibility of an extortion attempt gone wrong.
BETA Version - Powered by Perplexity