Wednesday, February 18, 2026

Attended by thousands, National Guard graduation ignores health protocols

Health protocols set to take effect next Monday were ignored by the federal government on Thursday in holding a graduation ceremony for new members of the National Guard.

President López Obrador presided over the Mexico City ceremony attended by some 5,400 people including 2,740 new members of the recently formed security force.

In accordance with the government’s Sana Distancia, or Healthy Distance, scheme, which will take effect on March 23, events that bring together more than 5,000 people should be postponed or canceled. Mexico City Mayor Claudia Sheinbaum said earlier this week that events in the capital with more than 1,000 attendees will be suspended.

At today’s ceremony, approximately 1,000 family members of the graduating guardsmen and guardswomen were seated closely together in temporary grandstands and another 400 packed tightly together in other vantage points.

In violation of another social distancing protocol, López Obrador, other officials and high-ranking military officers shook hands with about 120 National Guard graduates when bestowing awards on them.

The president, who has faced criticism for continuing to hug, kiss and shake hands with his supporters amid the coronavirus pandemic, kept his distance from the majority of ceremony attendees but offered an embrace from afar to the National Guard graduates and their families.

“Although it’s from afar, from a healthy distance, I send a warm hug to the families and to you [the new security force members],” López Obrador said.

He urged the National Guard recruits to resist “unseemly proposals” and “not to fall into corruption.” In exchange, “the government will guarantee you good salaries and benefits,” López Obrador said.

Earlier in his address, the president apologized for arriving at the ceremony an hour and 20 minutes late, explaining “we had matters of certain urgency to deal with – that’s why we were held up.”

The federal government is facing growing criticism for its response to the global coronavirus pandemic that will likely intensify further as the number of cases of Covid-19 increases.

There were 118 confirmed cases of the disease in Mexico as of Wednesday and 314 suspected cases. A 41-year-old México state man died on Wednesday night, becoming the first Covid-19 fatality in the country.

Source: La Jornada (sp) 

Have something to say? Paid Subscribers get all access to make & read comments.
new snake species

Scientists identify new snake species endemic to Mexico

0
Mexico is the world leader in snake species with over 400 known varieties, and now it has one more: a small and unusual underground dweller of which only one live specimen has been observed.
People evacuating during an earthquake alarm in Mexico City

Mexico City and México state to hold earthquake drill Wednesday

0
The first of three drills this year will be limited to Mexico City and its adjoining state, giving authorities a chance to practice rescue work and residents a chance to rehearse evacuations.
People bathing in the ocean with sargassum nearby

Navy warns of record sargassum season ahead of Easter holiday

0
According to a crowd-sourced sargassum map, beachgoers located between Puerto Aventuras and Tulum are already reporting the presence of the seaweed.
BETA Version - Powered by Perplexity