Saturday, February 21, 2026

Authorities detain 46, retrieve over 300 firearms during violent September in Sinaloa

In the 35 days of cartel violence that has befallen Sinaloa, state officials announced that they have detained a total of 46 suspects and retrieved more than 300 firearms. 

There has been public uproar over the weeks of sustained violence in the region, sparked by a feud between factions of the Sinaloa Cartel, whose stronghold and home base is the northwestern Mexican state. 

A convoy of military vehicles with armed soldiers perched on top drives down a highway in Sinaloa
More than 125 people have been reported dead in Sinaloa since a resurgence of cartel infighting in late August. (José Betanzos/Cuartoscuro) 

In the same period, police also confiscated 1,709 gun magazines, 95,859 unused cartridges, 55 grenades and 153 vehicles, 35 of which had improvised bulletproof armor, authorities said.

Officials are calling on locals to anonymously report suspicious and criminal activities to help support their investigations. 

According to the newspaper El País, more than 125 people have been reported dead since the cartel infighting started to escalate in late August. On Sept. 29, 300 people joined protests in Sinaloa’s capital of Culiacán to draw attention to the violence, carrying placards and calling out chants for peace. 

Cartel members clone police vehicles 

Sinaloa’s Public Security Minister Gerardo Mérida Sánchez said that during a recent police operation, authorities seized several clonedreplicas of police and emergency vehicles, including eight police motorbikes, two police cars and an ambulance. 

At a press conference on Monday, Governor Rubén Rocha Moya said that following a spate of robberies, authorities planned an operation to prevent future instances of crime affecting local businesses. 

The National Guard has been tasked with patrolling streets and central areas to identify high-risk areas for crime and carry out preventative measures.  

“We aim to act not reactively, but rather prevent crime at its source. With the presence of the [National] Guard, the operation we are designing is focused on deterring and preventing crime,” Rocha said. 

On Oct. 12, alleged Sinaloa Cartel leader Óscar Melchor, known by the alias "El 18," was apprehended in Saltillo
On Oct. 12, alleged Sinaloa Cartel leader Óscar Melchor, known by the alias “El 18,” was apprehended in Saltillo. (FGEQuintana Roo/X)

Cartel leader ‘El 18’ arrested in Coahuila

On Oct. 12, alleged Sinaloa Cartel leader Óscar Melchor, known by the alias “El 18,” was apprehended in Saltillo, the capital of the northeastern state of Coahuila. El 18 faces multiple criminal charges related to his role within the notorious drug trafficking organization.

Law enforcement agents from Quintana Roo, Sinaloa and Coahuila collaborated in his arrest after which he was transported via plane to Quintana Roo, where he will face trial for crimes committed in that state.

Melchor had previously been detained, alongside four others, in 2021 for possession of cannabis and his role in a homicide that took place in Alfredo V. Bonfil, a suburb of Cancún. According to the news agency Infobae, the reasons for his release following his previous arrest are unknown.  

With reports from El Universal, El País, El Economista, Informador and Infobae

Have something to say? Paid Subscribers get all access to make & read comments.
sad, unhappy Trump

US Supreme Court strikes down Trump’s tariffs: What does it mean for Mexico?

3
The ruling frees Mexico from paying certain Trump tariffs, such as the "fentanyl tariff" and the "reciprocal tariffs," though other exporting nations will probably get more relief than Mexico.
work on tren maya section 5

In a win for activists, judge halts work on Playa del Carmen-Tulum section of Maya Train

0
The halted stretch of track, by all accounts is the most environmentally sensitive, would complete the connection between Cancún and Tulum.
Oil pumps and a drilling rig at sunset

Mexico weighs ‘sustainable fracking’ to cut dependence on US natural gas

16
President Sheinbaum once vowed never to allow fracking. But now, as Mexico facing deep dependence on U.S. natural gas, fracking is back on the table.
BETA Version - Powered by Perplexity