Tuesday, February 17, 2026

Travel agencies suspend Chichén Itzá tours over big price hike

Travel agencies in Quintana Roo have begun suspending tours to the Chichén Itzá archaeological site to protest the admission fee increase introduced on January 1.

Cultur, a culture and tourism authority of the Yucatán state government, doubled the price of entry for foreign tourists to the ancient Maya city from 242 to 480 pesos (US $12.80 to $25.30).

Sergio González Rubiera, president of the Mexican Association of Travel Agencies (AMAV) in Quintana Roo, said the “boycott” of Chichén Itzá began Monday and will increase gradually until organized tours of the site are phased out completely.

“Obviously it’s not a total suspension from one day to the next . . . There are packages that have already been sold, especially those sold on the internet, that have to be honored. You can’t let the customers down,” he said.

“. . . It won’t be a total cut, it will be gradual. In the course of the week we’ll see a partial reduction,” González added.

The number of tourists who visit the site as part of an organized group is expected to drop by between 1,000 and 2,000 per week.

According to Jaime Solís Garza, president of the Tourist Business Council of Yucatán, 90% of tourists who visit Chichén Itzá are foreigners, and 90% of them travel to the site from Quintana Roo.

González said the decision to start suspending tours to the UNESCO World Heritage site would benefit Tulum and Cobá, which are the two most visited archeological sites in Quintana Roo.

He explained that travel agencies’ boycott of Chichén Itzá was not due to the admission price hike alone but because no improvements have been made to the site to justify it.

“It’s not just a question of the price for tourists going up, it’s a matter of this increase being introduced in exchange for nothing,” he said.

“The archeological site is invaded by vendors, we know that drugs are sold there, we know that Cultur has [the site] in terrible conditions, there are no water fountains for tourists . . .” González added.

The AMAV official said that an assistant of Yucatán Governor Mauricio Vila had contacted him and explained that the price hike was necessary because the state’s federal funding for the site had been cut.

“He told me there was a crisis, that the federal government reduced their budget and that they have to raise funds to improve . . . [Chichén Itzá]. I responded why not do it the other way around, carry out some improvements [first] . . . and we’ll help you to increase the price,” González said.

He added that the AMAV had requested that the admission fee increase be put on hold for six months and then introduced in increments in accordance with the progress of improvements carried out at the site.

Source: El Universal (sp) 

CORRECTION: The photo that originally appeared with this story was not Chichén Itzá, but Mayapán. 

Have something to say? Paid Subscribers get all access to make & read comments.

MND Local Guadalajara: Airport expansion, demolition of historic mansions and a noise crackdown

0
Is Colonia Americana losing its soul? Learn why many of Guadalajara's historic buildings in a popular expat neighborhood are being destroyed for new high-density buildings. Plus, news on the expansion of GDL's international airport.
Low light view. Many large white tanks chemical packaging inside of the factory.

Authorities seize 100+ tank trucks, 82,000 liters of stolen fuel in Veracruz bust

2
The bust was carried out across four properties in Minatitlán, Veracruz, home to Mexico's oldest oil refinery.
Nearly 2,000 couples got married in one of many "bodas colectivas" held throughout Mexico on Saturday, or Valentine's Day.

10,000 couples tied the knot in collective weddings held on Valentine’s Day

0
The states of Nuevo León and Mexico City led the way with 2,500+ and 2,378 partners tying the knot in their respective Valentine’s Day events.
BETA Version - Powered by Perplexity