Sunday, February 22, 2026

Ejidos want government to clear old debts before Maya Train talks

Members of farming cooperatives in Quintana Roo want the federal government to clear longstanding debts before entering into discussions about ceding land for the construction of the Maya Train.

Ponciano Genaro Martín Esquivel, a member of the Felipe Carillo Puerto ejido, said that there are six cooperatives that are still waiting to be compensated for land that was expropriated for the construction of Highway 307 between Chetumal and Cancún.

The money owed to the ejidos dates back to the end of former president Ernesto Zedillo’s six-year term in 2000, he said.

According to the ejidatarios of the Xmabén, Chacchoben, Andrés Quintana Roo, Sun Yax Chen, Hazil and Felipe Carrillo Puerto cooperatives, the government owes more than 200 million pesos (US $10.4 million) in unpaid compensation.

Esquivel said that members of his ejido are not opposed to construction of the new railroad, which will run through five states in southeast Mexico. However, he added that they had sent a letter to President López Obrador to advise him that they will not continue negotiations to cede land until the compensation issue has been settled.

Esquivel said the chief of the National Tourism Promotion Fund (Fonatur), which is managing the Maya Train project, has indicated that the government wants between 300 and 500 hectares of Felipe Carrillo Puerto ejido land for construction of the railway.

Fonatur director Rogelio Jiménez Pons has acknowledged that the compensation issue needs to be resolved before negotiations can continue, adding that the agency he heads is working to that end.

“There are at least three cooperatives that are owed money although it’s the Secretariat of Communications and Transportation that has the debt. We are interested in the matter being resolved as soon as possible and are taking steps for that to happen,” he said.

Jiménez said that the cooperative members are within their right to demand the compensation, charging that they were treated unfairly by past federal governments.

Source: El Economista (sp) 

Have something to say? Paid Subscribers get all access to make & read comments.
Smoke billows above puerto vallarta

State, foreign governments issue shelter-in-place warnings as narco-blockades spread after cartel leader’s death

0
Following the death of one of Mexico's most-wanted cartel bosses, Mexico, the U.S., Canada, and other nations issued shelter-in-place alerts as blockades and arson swept across multiple Mexican states.
The entrance to the GDL airport

Airlines suspend some Jalisco flights due to security concerns; Bus service affected across the country

6
After videos of panic inside the Guadalajara International Airport spread on social media, the airport operator acknowledged "hysteria among passengers" but said that there had been no security incidents.
cjng chief El Mencho

Jalisco cartel chief ‘El Mencho’ killed in Mexican Army operation

4
El Mencho, the feared founder of Mexico's powerful Jalisco New Generation Cartel, has been killed by federal forces — triggering roadblocks, vehicle burnings and unrest across at least six states.
BETA Version - Powered by Perplexity