Saturday, February 21, 2026

With consultation by a show of hands, AMLO cancels Durango transit project

An impromptu show of hands at a rally to distribute social program funds has cancelled a multi-million-peso transportation project in Durango.

President López Obrador announced the cancellation Sunday in Gómez Palacio, Durango, after most of those present — many of them transportation workers opposed to the Metrobús project — voted against it.

The president expressed his own personal support for the project but asked the crowd to vote.

“Nothing will be imposed on you,” he said. “The budget for the Metrobús is already approved but . . . if you decide you don’t want it, we’ll use the budget for something else.”

After the vote, López Obrador said the 450 million pesos (US $23.4 million) freed by the project’s cancellation will be used for improvements to a local hospital and the water system in Gómez Palacio.

“We’re going to work with the governor so that this money will be used for the hospital, or for water,” he said.

In a second show-of-hands vote, the crowd decided that the first priority should be improvements to the water system, while the second priority will be the Gómez Palacio General Hospital.

The Metrobús would have connected Gómez Palacio and Lerdo to another system in neighboring Torreón, Coahuila. It had been approved by the previous federal government, which promised 150 million pesos to support its construction.

But the López Obrador government had never embraced the proposal, and had been delaying the release of federal resources. It was also opposed by Durango bus drivers’ unions, who feared they would not be included in the new system.

López Obrador was introduced at yesterday’s rally by National Action Party Governor José Rosas Aispuro Torres, whose 20-minute speech drew catcalls from the crowd.

Source: Milenio (sp), El Economista (sp), El Siglo de Torreón (sp)

Have something to say? Paid Subscribers get all access to make & read comments.
Sheinbaum and two Mexican generals observe a military band on Army Day in Puebla

Mexico’s week in review: Sheinbaum says no to the US — and yes to Canada

1
The third week of February was a busy one for Mexico as it courted Canada, rebuffed Trump, racked up drug busts and caught a Supreme Court break on tariffs. Here are the week's biggest stories.

MND Local: Is San Miguel de Allende about to receive passenger rail service?

0
Is San Miguel de Allende set to get passenger rail service? President Sheinbaum says yes.
sad, unhappy Trump

US Supreme Court strikes down Trump’s tariffs: What does it mean for Mexico?

15
The ruling frees Mexico from paying certain Trump tariffs, such as the "fentanyl tariff" and the "reciprocal tariffs," though other exporting nations will probably get more relief than Mexico.
BETA Version - Powered by Perplexity