Friday, February 20, 2026

Financial authorities freeze accounts of judge who freed cartel suspects

Authorities have frozen the bank accounts of a federal judge suspected of corruption after releasing members of the Jalisco New Generation Cartel (CJNG) from preventative custody.

The Financial Intelligence Unit said yesterday that a Jalisco-based judge – reported by the Reforma newspaper to be Isidro Avelar Gutiérrez – had lost access to accounts containing 50 million pesos (US $2.6 million).

“We’ve frozen his accounts and filed a complaint with the federal Attorney General’s Office . . .” UIF chief Santiago Nieto said.

The UIF initiated its investigation into Avelar after senators from the ruling Morena party disclosed that he had spent 18.7 million pesos on properties between 2010 and 2016.

The judge has been under investigation by the Attorney General’s Office since the six-year term of the previous government.

On July 17 last year, Avelar ordered the release of Juan Francisco Aguilar Santana, a CJNG operative known as “Juan Pistolas” who is believed to be close to cartel leader Nemesio “El Mencho” Oseguera Cervantes.

Aguilar was arrested at an address in Tlajomulco de Zúñiga, Jalisco, in June 2018 with more than 30 firearms, including two grenade launchers, and illegal drugs.

He was remanded in preventative custody until Avelar ordered his release on the grounds that the authorities had obtained a search warrant for the address without following proper processes.

In 2015, the judge also freed the son of El Mencho, Rubén Oseguera González, and his brother-in-law after ruling that their arrest was illegal.

In that case, Avelar said that Federal Police had entered a home illegally to arrest the two men, contradicting federal authorities’ version of events that the arrests were made when the suspects were riding in a truck.

The judge identified three other factors as well: there was a delay of nine hours between their arrest and their presentation before a prosecutor, they were not given immediate access to a defense lawyer and there was insufficient evidence linking the men with the CJNG.

According to a report today in the newspaper Reforma, federal authorities are also investigating other Jalisco judges who are believed to have colluded with Avelar.

Some judges allegedly passed on CJNG cases to him under the pretext that their excessive workloads precluded them from hearing them.

In addition to freeing cartel suspects, the federal judge also granted an injunction in 2011 to former Federal Electricity Commission (CFE) operations director Néstor Moreno, ruling that there was no evidence of illicit enrichment to justify the issuing of an arrest warrant against him.

In 2017, the CFE official was found guilty of the crime and sentenced to eight years in prison.

Source: Reforma (sp) 

Have something to say? Paid Subscribers get all access to make & read comments.
work on tren maya section 5

In a win for activists, judge halts work on Playa del Carmen-Tulum section of Maya Train

0
The halted stretch of track, by all accounts is the most environmentally sensitive, would complete the connection between Cancún and Tulum.
Oil pumps and a drilling rig at sunset

Mexico weighs ‘sustainable fracking’ to cut dependence on US natural gas

15
President Sheinbaum once vowed never to allow fracking. But now, as Mexico facing deep dependence on U.S. natural gas, fracking is back on the table.
Drug plane in Oaxaca

Military seizes half tonne of cocaine in Oaxaca after dramatic air and ground chase

0
After a forced landing in the jungle, the suspects tried to flee in trucks with their illicit cargo, but soon had to abandon both in order to escape on stolen motorcycles.
BETA Version - Powered by Perplexity