Monday, June 17, 2024

Mayors at war over who owns the town of San Mateo Ixtacalco

Two México state mayors are at loggerheads over the ownership of a town but it’s unclear what the town itself thinks.

Since 1973, the year in which Cuatitlán Izcalli was granted municipal status, the town of San Mateo Ixtacalco has straddled that municipality and its neighbor, Cuatitlán.

But the mayor of the latter municipality, Ariel Juárez, is seeking to take possession of San Mateo Ixtacalco in its entirety and filed a claim to that end in the state Congress earlier this year.

But his counterpart in Cuatitlán Izcalli, Ricardo Núñez Ayala, has warned that he won’t give up the territory without a fight.

The two men, both of whom govern for Mexico’s ruling Morena party, will present their cases to the territorial limits commission of the state Congress.

[wpgmza id=”219″]

Juárez says that 80% of Ixtacalco’s territory is in Cuatitlán and that the remaining 20% should also come under that municipality’s administration.

But at a meeting of the Cuatitlán Izcalli council, councilors sent a clear message to the mayor of the neighboring municipality.

“We will not allow anyone to take territory from our municipality for their shady interests,” said Miguel Ángel Huesca.

Another councilor, Germán González García, said the dispute over ownership of the town comes up whenever there is a change of government.

However, he said that the boundaries between the two municipalities were clearly established in 1973 and that the mayor of Cuatitlán should respect them.

Mayor Núñez stressed that he will not enter in a “friendly” agreement with Juárez that would involve his municipality ceding territory for the reunification of San Mateo Ixtacalco, which has a population of about 15,000.

Municipal boundary disputes are common in México state, the country’s most populous.

At least half of the state’s 125 municipalities have experienced problems related to poorly defined city limits, according to a report in the newspaper El Heraldo de México.

Source: El Sol de Toluca (sp), El Heraldo de México (sp) 

Have something to say? Paid Subscribers get all access to make & read comments.
Worried guests gather around a hot tub in Puerto Peñasco

Wife of US tourist who died in Puerto Peñasco hot tub electrocution files US $1M suit

2
When she saw her husband struggling under the water, Zambrano jumped in to help, only to be electrocuted herself.
A group of mostly Black migrants, some of whom maybe be undocumented foreigners, walks down a Mexican highway under a bright sun.

Nearly 1.4 million undocumented migrants detected in Mexico so far this year

0
The National Immigration Institute (INM) data on encounters from January to May is almost double the number for all of 2023.
NOAA satellite imagery of low pressure system in Gulf of Mexico

Meteorologists monitor possible tropical storm in the Gulf of Mexico

0
A low pressure system in the Gulf of Mexico could become a tropical storm by midweek, as torrential rains hit the Yucatán peninsula.