Sunday, February 22, 2026

Puerto Vallarta prepares marketing campaign to recover lost tourism

Puerto Vallarta, the premier tourist destination in Jalisco, is preparing a marketing campaign aimed at getting visitor numbers back to pre-pandemic levels by the end of the year.

The campaign will target potential tourists in the United States – the main source country for visitors to the Pacific coast resort city – Canada and Mexico’s largest cities.

The Jalisco government will contribute 100 million pesos (US $4.6 million) to the efforts to revive tourism in Vallarta, located on Banderas Bay just south of the Nayarit border.

Jalisco Tourism Minister Germán Ralis told the news website Forbes México that authorities are hopeful that tourists will start returning to the city over the summer.

However, the marketing campaign will try to attract visitors to Vallarta in the fall and winter months, he said.

Ralis said the campaign will primarily target potential tourists who live in cities where it takes no more than four flying hours to get to Vallarta given that there is unlikely to be much appetite for long-haul trips while Covid-19 remains a threat.

He said that Puerto Vallarta, “our star destination,” and other tourism hubs in Jalisco – among which are state capital Guadalajara and the town of Tequila – will be especially competitive in the United States market.

Ralis also said that Jalisco has signed an agreement with Zacatecas, Querétaro, San Luis Potosí, Guanajuato and Aguascalientes to encourage residents to take short interstate trips.

The tourism minister said that some Jalisco hotels will offer three-nights-for-two promotions and that some restaurants will also offer special deals to create an “integrated experience” for visitors from within Mexico and abroad.

Some nonessential businesses in Jalisco that were ordered to close due to the coronavirus pandemic have begun reopening but the state’s economic restart has been surrounded by confusion.

Jalisco had recorded 2,136 Covid-19 cases as of Wednesday of which 790 are considered active. The metropolitan area of Guadalajara has recorded more than 1,000 confirmed cases while 276 people have tested positive in Puerto Vallarta, according to the federal government’s Covid-19 municipal map.

Source: Forbes México (sp) 

Have something to say? Paid Subscribers get all access to make & read comments.
Smoke billows above puerto vallarta

State, foreign governments issue shelter-in-place warnings as narco-blockades spread after cartel leader’s death

0
Following the death of one of Mexico's most-wanted cartel bosses, Mexico, the U.S., Canada, and other nations issued shelter-in-place alerts as blockades and arson swept across multiple Mexican states.
The entrance to the GDL airport

Airlines suspend some Jalisco flights due to security concerns; Bus service affected across the country

6
After videos of panic inside the Guadalajara International Airport spread on social media, the airport operator acknowledged "hysteria among passengers" but said that there had been no security incidents.
cjng chief El Mencho

Jalisco cartel chief ‘El Mencho’ killed in Mexican Army operation

4
El Mencho, the feared founder of Mexico's powerful Jalisco New Generation Cartel, has been killed by federal forces — triggering roadblocks, vehicle burnings and unrest across at least six states.
BETA Version - Powered by Perplexity