Saturday, February 21, 2026

Residents block Mexico City-Puebla to protest operation against fuel thieves

Residents of a town in Puebla blocked the Mexico City-Puebla highway for more than six hours yesterday to protest a federal operation against pipeline fuel theft.

At around 4:00am, navy personnel arrived in Palmarito Tochapan, a community in the municipality of Quecholac, to carry out raids of two properties, one presumably owned by mayor-elect Alejandro Martínez Fuentes.

Martínez took to social media to complain about the operation and to claim that the marines had arrived to “attack the people of Palmarito.”

The town was the scene of two bloody confrontations in May 2017 that left four soldiers and six presumed huachicoleros, or fuel thieves, dead.

An investigation by the National Human Rights Commission (CNDH) made public this month found that soldiers and state police arbitrarily executed two people and planted weapons on two bodies during the clashes.

The Quecholac mayor-elect used a live video message on Facebook to urge the local population to respond to the navy operation.

A woman approaches Martínez in the video, claiming she was shot by soldiers and displaying a small wound on her leg.

In an earlier Facebook video, the mayor-elect shows security camera footage in which a loud gunshot is heard.

“Authorities are shooting at people going by, the people shooting are soldiers . . . They’re very aggressive . . .” Martínez said.

Other residents reported that security personnel had used gas bombs in the town and broken windows of several homes.

Residents proceeded to shut down the highway in both directions between approximately 6:00am and 12:30pm, burning tires and holding up signs denouncing navy violence during yesterday’s operation.

[wpgmza id=”89″]

State government General Secretary Diódoro Carrasco Altamirano said that a group of fuel thieves was living in Palmarito and that they were responsible for inciting and participating in the highway blockade.

Contributing to suspicion surrounding the mayor-elect is that his brother, Antonio Martínez Fuentes, also known as El Toñín, is allegedly a criminal leader in the Red Triangle zone of Puebla, a region notorious for pipeline fuel theft.

El Toñín has also been accused of involvement in kidnapping, extortion and homicides in several parts of the state.

State authorities last year seized two properties owned by Antonio Martínez Fuentes as well as 16 vehicles.

His brother, who denies that he or anyone in his family is involved in criminal activity, is scheduled to take office for the Puebla-based PSI party on October 15.

Source: El Universal (sp) 

Have something to say? Paid Subscribers get all access to make & read comments.
Sheinbaum and two Mexican generals observe a military band on Army Day in Puebla

Mexico’s week in review: Sheinbaum says no to the US — and yes to Canada

1
The third week of February was a busy one for Mexico as it courted Canada, rebuffed Trump, racked up drug busts and caught a Supreme Court break on tariffs. Here are the week's biggest stories.

MND Local: Is San Miguel de Allende about to receive passenger rail service?

0
Is San Miguel de Allende set to get passenger rail service? President Sheinbaum says yes.
sad, unhappy Trump

US Supreme Court strikes down Trump’s tariffs: What does it mean for Mexico?

15
The ruling frees Mexico from paying certain Trump tariffs, such as the "fentanyl tariff" and the "reciprocal tariffs," though other exporting nations will probably get more relief than Mexico.
BETA Version - Powered by Perplexity