Tuesday, May 28, 2024

Second fire in Quintana Roo’s Sian Ka’an reserve is under control

Firefighters in Quintana Roo are working to extinguish the second wildfire of the summer in the Sian Ka’an Biosphere Reserve.

The fire, which covers an area of 1,085 hectares, started on August 1 in the southern part of the reserve, near the area known as Uaymil. It broke out while firefighters were fighting another fire in the northern part of the reserve, which they were able to extinguish on August 4.

Firefighters say they have extinguished 35% of the new fire, and the other 65% is under control. The National Forest Commission (Conafor), the military and the Quintana Roo Ecology and Environment Secretariat are all involved in the firefighting effort.

According to Conafor spokesperson Román Uriel Castillo Carballo, the fire could continue to burn for another week. He noted that part of it will reach a mangrove forest in the coming days, and will likely stop spreading in that direction.

He said the fires were started by poachers hunting white-tail deer.

The affected area is about 85% savannah, while the remaining 15% is forested.

There have been 7,211 forest fires across Mexico in 2019, affecting a total surface area of 585,696 hectares in every Mexican state. The states with the most fires were México, Michoacán, Chihuahua, Jalisco, Mexico City, Chiapas, Puebla, Tlaxcala, Guerrero and Oaxaca, which accounted for 78% of all fires.

Source: El Financiero (sp), La Jornada Maya (sp)

Have something to say? Paid Subscribers get all access to make & read comments.
Children raise their hands in a Mexican classroom

Opinion: The importance of PISA for the future of education in Mexico

1
For the first time in 25 years, Mexico is running the risk of not participating in the international PISA assessment. What does that mean for students?
El Nini, a man in his 30s or 40s, stands between two Mexican soldiers in front of a helicopter.

‘El Nini,’ alleged security chief for Sinaloa Cartel, extradited to US

9
The alleged mastermind behind the "Culiacanazo" is now in U.S. custody, where he might remain for the rest of his life.
Puebla residents shovel hail that seemingly struck out of nowhere on Saturday.

Mexico’s wild weather weekend: extreme heat, strong winds and hail

0
It was a weird weather weekend in central Mexico, which saw record-high temps, flooding, crazy winds and a hailstorm — all over the course of two days.