Sunday, February 22, 2026

Tourist industry offered 11bn pesos in financing to combat effects of virus

As a measure to help mitigate the negative effects of the coronavirus pandemic, the Ministry of Tourism (Sectur) has launched an 11.4-billion-peso (US $507.6-million) loan program for the hotel, travel agency and ground transportation industries.

In a video conference at the opening of the Latin America Tourism Summit on Wednesday, Tourism Minister Miguel Torruco announced that the program, which will be operated through private banks, will go into effect this year and offer loans ranging from 220,000 to 30 million pesos (around US $9,800 to $1.3 million) with a six-month grace period and a maximum interest rate of 13.5%.

Sectur’s deputy minister for quality and regulation, Humberto Hernández Haddad, reported that the financing will be provided through Banorte, BBVA, Citibanamex, HSBC, Santander and Scotiabank, among other banks that have yet to join the program.

The president of the Mexican Banking Association (ABM), Luis Niño de Rivera, stated that the loan program will provide a boost to help lift the economy.

Torruco reported that Mexico has 23,000 lodging establishments and a total of 830,000 rooms, and 20,000 new rooms are expected to be added this year. 

In addition, he pointed out that although domestic tourism is a key factor in the economic revival of the sector, international tourism must not be forgotten. 

Under normal circumstances, 55% of visitors come from the United States, 12% from Canada and 16% from Central America, the Caribbean and South America. European visitors account for 12.4% of tourists visiting Mexico, while 4% of travelers to the country are Asian.

Source: Milenio (sp), Reportur (sp)

Have something to say? Paid Subscribers get all access to make & read comments.
The entrance to the GDL airport

Airlines suspend some Jalisco flights due to security concerns; Bus service affected across the country

5
After videos of panic inside the Guadalajara International Airport spread on social media, the airport operator acknowledged "hysteria among passengers" but said that there had been no security incidents.
cjng chief El Mencho

Jalisco cartel chief ‘El Mencho’ killed in Mexican Army operation

4
El Mencho, the feared founder of Mexico's powerful Jalisco New Generation Cartel, has been killed by federal forces — triggering roadblocks, vehicle burnings and unrest across at least six states.
Sheinbaum and two Mexican generals observe a military band on Army Day in Puebla

Mexico’s week in review: Sheinbaum says no to the US — and yes to Canada

1
The third week of February was a busy one for Mexico as it courted Canada, rebuffed Trump, racked up drug busts and caught a Supreme Court break on tariffs. Here are the week's biggest stories.
BETA Version - Powered by Perplexity