Sunday, February 22, 2026

Police in Oaxaca kill youth, 16, mistaking him for criminal

Police officers in Acatlán de Pérez Figueroa, Oaxaca, shot and killed a 16-year-old boy after mistaking him for a criminal Tuesday night. 

Alexander Martínez Gómez left the house of relatives to buy soft drinks at the corner store with three friends, the newspaper Milenio reported, when he was shot by police who mistook the group of teenagers for armed criminal suspects they were pursuing.

A 15-year-old boy was also injured during the incident and taken to a nearby hospital. 

“My son had a dream! They have cut that short!” Martínez’s grieving mother shouted in a video making the rounds on social media. “They aren’t criminals, they are children. How can I believe they were confused?”

She also says that nobody offered to provide first aid to her son after the shooting to try to save the young soccer player’s life. 

Martínez’s dream was to become a professional soccer player. He played with a Veracruz club and was registered with the Liga MX, Mexico’s premier soccer league.

The state Attorney General’s Office is investigating the incident, and one police officer has been detained in the shooting. 

State human rights authorities say they received 344 complaints against police officers last year and 120 so far this year. 

Oaxaca Governor Alejandro Murat said that federal authorities are also planning on assisting in the investigation and members of the military and the National Guard were being dispatched to maintain order in the town, located in the Papaloapan basin region of the state.

“They killed him but I won’t let myself fall. I want everyone to stand with me and resist because if they did this to me and my son they can do it to anyone’s son!” Martinez’s mother lamented. 

Source: Milenio (sp), El Universal (sp)

Have something to say? Paid Subscribers get all access to make & read comments.
Sheinbaum and two Mexican generals observe a military band on Army Day in Puebla

Mexico’s week in review: Sheinbaum says no to the US — and yes to Canada

1
The third week of February was a busy one for Mexico as it courted Canada, rebuffed Trump, racked up drug busts and caught a Supreme Court break on tariffs. Here are the week's biggest stories.

MND Local: Is San Miguel de Allende about to receive passenger rail service?

0
Is San Miguel de Allende set to get passenger rail service? President Sheinbaum says yes.
sad, unhappy Trump

US Supreme Court strikes down Trump’s tariffs: What does it mean for Mexico?

15
The ruling frees Mexico from paying certain Trump tariffs, such as the "fentanyl tariff" and the "reciprocal tariffs," though other exporting nations will probably get more relief than Mexico.
BETA Version - Powered by Perplexity