Sunday, February 22, 2026

Increased hospital occupancy will leave Mexico City on orange next week

Mayor Claudia Sheinbaum said Friday that Mexico City will remain at the orange alert level due to a growing demand for hospital beds and fears that there could be a resurgence of coronavirus cases.

The city remains at the second-highest risk level due to the increase in the number of hospitalized coronavirus patients during the last five days, Sheinbaum explained.

“We call on all the inhabitants of Mexico City to protect themselves,” she cautioned, adding that safe distance measures and the use of face masks must continue.

Currently, 2,674 people with the coronavirus in Mexico City are in hospital, and 774 are on ventilators.

If the number of hospitalized patients with coronavirus reaches 5,000 in the Valley of México, the city will revert to the red light, or maximum risk level. 

“According to the epidemiological stoplight of the Ministry of Health, if occupancy increases to more than 5,127 beds, we would need to be taking more restrictive measures and have to return to a red light and stay like that for several weeks so that we can drop the level of hospitalization in the city,” Sheinbaum warned.

Not changing the trend of the virus could lead to exponential growth and a return to maximum-risk restrictions by October. 

Permitted activities will remain unchanged next week, although businesses in the city’s historic center, where the largest crowds of people have been seen, will close at 5 p.m. instead of 6 p.m. and will be closely monitored for compliance.

As of Friday, officials said, there have been 66,444 confirmed cases of the coronavirus in Mexico City and 8,638 deaths. Active cases currently number 4,638.

Source: Reforma (sp), Aristeguinoticias (sp), Milenio (sp)

Have something to say? Paid Subscribers get all access to make & read comments.
Smoke billows above puerto vallarta

State, foreign governments issue shelter-in-place warnings as narco-blockades spread after cartel leader’s death

0
Following the death of one of Mexico's most-wanted cartel bosses, Mexico, the U.S., Canada, and other nations issued shelter-in-place alerts as blockades and arson swept across multiple Mexican states.
The entrance to the GDL airport

Airlines suspend some Jalisco flights due to security concerns; Bus service affected across the country

6
After videos of panic inside the Guadalajara International Airport spread on social media, the airport operator acknowledged "hysteria among passengers" but said that there had been no security incidents.
cjng chief El Mencho

Jalisco cartel chief ‘El Mencho’ killed in Mexican Army operation

4
El Mencho, the feared founder of Mexico's powerful Jalisco New Generation Cartel, has been killed by federal forces — triggering roadblocks, vehicle burnings and unrest across at least six states.
BETA Version - Powered by Perplexity