Sunday, February 22, 2026

Oaxaca governor announces security operation after candidate killed

A new security force has started operating in Juchitán, Oaxaca, as a pilot program after the murder of an election candidate and two others on Saturday in the Isthmus of Tehuantepec city.

Governor Alejandro Murat Hinojosa announced that the 500-member Special Security Force Oaxaca began operating yesterday in the isthmus region. It consists of personnel from the army, navy, Federal Police, the Center for Investigation and National Security, the Attorney General’s office and state officials from the Secretariat of Public Security, the Attorney General’s office and the Interior Secretariat.

The new force was created the day after Pamela Terán Pineda, a candidate for municipal council in Juchitán, was assassinated.

She died along with a photographer and her driver as they were leaving a bar in the city center.

Federal crime data has ranked the municipality as the ninth most violent in the country.

Murat said the Special Security Force Oaxaca is a single-command force that will start operating from Juchitán but be capable of traveling to other parts of the state “to recover the peace.”

Assassination victim Terán.
Assassination victim Terán.

The message is clear, he continued, explaining that there will be zero tolerance toward organized crime.

At least 1,000 people attended yesterday’s funeral procession for Terán, a doctor by profession, and a community activist who worked on behalf of the indigenous community and founded and directed two community organizations, Despierta Juchitán and Fundación Meraki.

Source: El Universal (sp)

Have something to say? Paid Subscribers get all access to make & read comments.
The entrance to the GDL airport

Airlines suspend some Jalisco flights due to security concerns; Bus service affected across the country

0
After videos of panic inside the Guadalajara International Airport spread on social media, the airport operator acknowledged "hysteria among passengers" but said that there had been no security incidents.
cjng chief El Mencho

Jalisco cartel chief ‘El Mencho’ killed in Mexican Army operation

3
El Mencho, the feared founder of Mexico's powerful Jalisco New Generation Cartel, has been killed by federal forces — triggering roadblocks, vehicle burnings and unrest across at least six states.
Sheinbaum and two Mexican generals observe a military band on Army Day in Puebla

Mexico’s week in review: Sheinbaum says no to the US — and yes to Canada

1
The third week of February was a busy one for Mexico as it courted Canada, rebuffed Trump, racked up drug busts and caught a Supreme Court break on tariffs. Here are the week's biggest stories.
BETA Version - Powered by Perplexity