Sunday, February 22, 2026

President believes initial findings in Ayotzinapa probe were correct

President Enrique Peña Nieto stands by the “historical truth” declared by investigators in the disappearance of 43 teacher-training students in Iguala, Guerrero, in September 2014.

Then-attorney general Jesús Murillo Karam declared in early 2015 that the students of the Ayotzinapa teacher training college had been killed by a crime gang which had then burned their bodies. His announcement was initially received with some skepticism.

It later turned to flat-out rejection after independent investigators concluded that the official findings were flawed.

“Personally, and [knowing] the pain and the sorrow of the students’ families, I am of the conviction that what regrettably happened was what the investigation found,” Peña Nieto said in a video posted online.

Although the parents of the students have rejected the official findings, he said, “there was clear and convincing evidence that, unfortunately, the 43 youths had been incinerated by a criminal group that operated in the state of Guerrero.”

He said there was “no way to repair the loss of a child” but what happened to the students “should never be repeated in our country.”

Today, the Centro Prodh human rights group in Guerrero criticized the president’s comments via Twitter. It accused him of deliberately omitting to say the official investigation was condemned by four independent organizations and a court.

It said the federal government continues to insist on maintaining its “historical lie.”

On January 27, 2015, four months after the students disappeared, the attorney general declared that the students were “kidnapped, murdered, incinerated and thrown into a river. In that order. This is the historical truth . . . .”

The Group of Interdisciplinary Independent Experts, an international group of lawyers and human rights experts that performed their own investigation, shot down the official account in their last report, issued in April 2016.

The experts left Mexico “disappointed and frustrated,” and convinced that the authorities were “married” to Murillo’s findings. They also claimed that federal authorities had blocked their investigation by denying access to officials and information.

Peña Nieto’s online message came four days before his sixth and final report on national affairs, an official event held before Congress every year on September 1. He will follow that with a televised address to the nation on September 3.

Source: Milenio (sp)

Have something to say? Paid Subscribers get all access to make & read comments.
The entrance to the GDL airport

Airlines suspend some Jalisco flights due to security concerns; Bus service affected across the country

0
After videos of panic inside the Guadalajara International Airport spread on social media, the airport operator acknowledged "hysteria among passengers" but said that there had been no security incidents.
cjng chief El Mencho

Jalisco cartel chief ‘El Mencho’ killed in Mexican Army operation

3
El Mencho, the feared founder of Mexico's powerful Jalisco New Generation Cartel, has been killed by federal forces — triggering roadblocks, vehicle burnings and unrest across at least six states.
Sheinbaum and two Mexican generals observe a military band on Army Day in Puebla

Mexico’s week in review: Sheinbaum says no to the US — and yes to Canada

1
The third week of February was a busy one for Mexico as it courted Canada, rebuffed Trump, racked up drug busts and caught a Supreme Court break on tariffs. Here are the week's biggest stories.
BETA Version - Powered by Perplexity