Sunday, February 22, 2026

Chiapas ex-governor will have state-paid bodyguards for 15 years

The former governor of Chiapas and his attorney general will have state-paid personal security for the next 15 years in accordance with a law approved during the previous government’s last year in office.

Manuel Velasco, who governed the southern state for the Ecological Green Party (PVEM) between 2012 and last Friday, and Raciel López Salazar, who served during the past two governments, will be the beneficiaries of the law that was promulgated in July 2017.

Decree 223 says they will be entitled to a personal security detail “for services rendered to the state” and stipulates that the state Secretariat of Finance must allocate funds for the purpose.

The president of the Supreme Court of Chiapas, who remains in active service, and the former state security secretary, who is now the attorney general, will also be afforded bodyguards after they leave public office for the same length of time they served in their final public role.

The newspaper El Universal sought comment from Velasco, who served as a federal lawmaker before becoming governor, about the law and the size of the security detail he will have but didn’t receive a response.

President López Obrador said at his daily press conference this morning that “if it’s true” that Velasco will have personal protection “it’s an excess that shouldn’t be allowed.”

He added: “My personal opinion is that there shouldn’t be privileges, that special treatment for officials should end.”

López Obrador, who took office on December 1, has disbanded the Estado Presidencial Mayor, which for more than 90 years was the institution charged with protecting the president of Mexico.

The president has claimed that “the people will protect me” and travels only with a small, unarmed security detail made up of just three women and two men with no police training.

Source: El Universal (sp), Forbes México (sp) 

Have something to say? Paid Subscribers get all access to make & read comments.
Smoke billows above puerto vallarta

State, foreign governments issue shelter-in-place warnings as narco-blockades spread after cartel leader’s death

0
Following the death of one of Mexico's most-wanted cartel bosses, Mexico, the U.S., Canada, and other nations issued shelter-in-place alerts as blockades and arson swept across multiple Mexican states.
The entrance to the GDL airport

Airlines suspend some Jalisco flights due to security concerns; Bus service affected across the country

6
After videos of panic inside the Guadalajara International Airport spread on social media, the airport operator acknowledged "hysteria among passengers" but said that there had been no security incidents.
cjng chief El Mencho

Jalisco cartel chief ‘El Mencho’ killed in Mexican Army operation

5
El Mencho, the feared founder of Mexico's powerful Jalisco New Generation Cartel, has been killed by federal forces — triggering roadblocks, vehicle burnings and unrest across at least six states.
BETA Version - Powered by Perplexity