Wednesday, February 18, 2026

105 abducted people found in search operation in San Luis Potosí

At least 105 people held against their will were located at various locations near Matehuala, San Luis Potosí on Thursday and Friday. The search operation began after 23 people, described initially as tourists by some media outlets but later confirmed to be migrants, were reported missing after departing San Felipe, Guanajuato on Monday evening.

As of Friday afternoon, the state prosecutor’s office in San Luis Potosí said that they had rescued the 105 victims, including the original group missing from Guanajuato, in five operations in the area. One death was reported by the authorities; one of the group’s two drivers, 36 year-old Joel Juárez Sánchez, was apparently killed by the kidnappers. Two suspects were also detained.

Search and rescue teams used helicopters to locate the missing.
Helicopter teams from 3 states formed part of the 20-hour search-and-rescue operation. (@diegosinhue/Twitter)

Two helicopters from Guanajuato’s Ministry of Public Security using infrared search-and-track technology were deployed in the operation to find the missing people, which was directed by a team that included the Mexican army and the National Guard, plus state and local authorities. 

The first group of 35 people was reportedly found with three rented vans in a high desert area off the San Luis Potosí–Matehuala highway in the northern part of the state. México Highway 57 is a main route between Mexico’s central and northern states. Law enforcement also found a bus carrying 46 people that had apparently been hijacked on its way towards Nuevo León. The remaining victims were found at a hotel and a safehouse.

That the abductees were migrants – reportedly from El Salvador, Venezuela and Honduras, and also from Mexico – was only discovered after they were rescued. According to officials, the group was looking to reach the northeastern state of Coahuila, before attempting to enter the United States. 

On Tuesday, one of the group reportedly contacted the car rental company to say they had been kidnapped, and that their captors were asking 60,000 pesos ($3,292 US) for each of them. The ransom demand was not confirmed by San Luis Potosí authorities, a spokesman said.

Missing person poster for Joel Juárez Sánchez
36-year-old driver Joel Juárez Sánchez was found dead, reportedly killed by the kidnappers. (Twitter)

The group had been held hostage by armed men in five vehicles, authorities said. 

Further confusion occurred on Wednesday, when authorities reported the rescue of 16 people wandering on a highway near Matehuala. They were believed to be part of the abducted Guanajuato group, but hours later officials said they had departed from the state of México before being robbed in the area. 

As for the rescue on Thursday, the San Luis Potosí state prosecutor’s office said officials rescued people “who were being held captive by a group of offenders” and that “five trucks and a series of weapons were seized and [were handed over to] local and federal authorities.”

The office added: “As far as it has been possible to clarify, the vast majority of these victims were being transported due to a labor-migration situation, which could be confirmed after interviews with the aggrieved.”

The migrants were said to be in good condition after being held hostage, authorities added. Some of them said they had come from the state of Guanajuato, and identified themselves as migrants traveling for work, a San Luis Potosí spokesman said.

With reports from Milenio, El País  El Universal San Luis Potosí and AFP

Have something to say? Paid Subscribers get all access to make & read comments.
new snake species

Scientists identify new snake species endemic to Mexico

0
Mexico is the world leader in snake species with over 400 known varieties, and now it has one more: a small and unusual underground dweller of which only one live specimen has been observed.
People evacuating during an earthquake alarm in Mexico City

Mexico City and México state to hold earthquake drill Wednesday

0
The first of three drills this year will be limited to Mexico City and its adjoining state, giving authorities a chance to practice rescue work and residents a chance to rehearse evacuations.
People bathing in the ocean with sargassum nearby

Navy warns of record sargassum season ahead of Easter holiday

0
According to a crowd-sourced sargassum map, beachgoers located between Puerto Aventuras and Tulum are already reporting the presence of the seaweed.
BETA Version - Powered by Perplexity