Friday, November 28, 2025

7 dead in Monterrey construction accident; project was ‘completely illegal’

A shopping mall under construction in Monterrey, Nuevo León, collapsed yesterday, killing seven people, authorities said.

A further 14 people were injured and rescue workers continued searching this morning for one person trapped under the rubble. All the victims are believed to be construction workers.

Around 150 rescue workers including military personnel have contributed to search and rescue efforts.

Assistant attorney general Luis Enrique Orozco Suárez confirmed that only one person is missing and not nine as had been reported last night. Six of the seven men killed have been identified, he said.

Nuevo León Civil Protection deputy director Miguel Ángel Perales Hernández said that three concrete slabs collapsed at around midday, crushing the workers. The cause of the collapse is unclear.

Work on the three-story building in the Cumbres del Sol district was being carried out without a building permit, municipal authorities said.

Monterrey urban development secretary Luis Bortoni said the project was suspended in November 2017 after a wall on the perimeter of the site collapsed. “It’s a completely illegal construction . . .” he said.

Both the director of the project and the owner of the property could face criminal charges, including negligent homicide. Authorities are still attempting to locate the former.

Nuevo León Governor Jaime Rodríguez Calderón last night visited the site of the disaster and pledged that the state government would provide medical and psychological care to the families of victims.

Source: El Financiero (sp), Milenio (sp), Excelsior (sp) 

Have something to say? Paid Subscribers get all access to make & read comments.
trucks blocking highway

Mega-blockades continue into their fourth day as their effects start to hurt

4
As of Wednesday, 22 states were affected, with blockades causing delays on highways including Mexico-Guadalajara, Mexico-Querétaro and Cuernavaca-Acapulco.
Raúl Rocha

Arrest warrant issued for Raúl Rocha, Miss Universe co-owner and president

4
Rocha is suspected of running a trafficking ring, and has multi-million-dollar contracts with Pemex, where Miss Universe winner Fátima Bosch's father is a high-ranking official.
The Rio Grande or Rio Bravo flows through Big Bend National Park in Texas

US blames Texas crop losses on Mexico’s missed water deliveries

4
Mexico still owes nearly half the water that it was treaty-bound to deliver between 2020 and 2025. As drought persists in northern Mexico, will it be able to catch up?
BETA Version - Powered by Perplexity