Friday, February 20, 2026

Accident at Coahuila mine leaves 2 dead

Two workers were killed on Tuesday in an accident at a coal mine near Sabinas, Coahuila.

According to official reports by the Coahuila branch of the National Coordination for Civil Protection (CNPC), the accident happened at a mine on the El Mezquite communal land at around 12 p.m. The victims were named as merely José Guadalupe and Juan Jesús.

Although local media initially reported the accident as an explosion, authorities later said the two men died after a winch carrying them out of the mine shaft broke. Coahuila’s Undersecretary of Civil Protection Francisco Martínez Ávalos estimated they had fallen about 70 meters.

The bodies of the deceased were recovered on Wednesday. (Twitter)

Relatives of the miners began to arrive at the site in the hours following the accident, and the Ministry of Labor and Social Welfare (STPS) was notified to activate the relevant protocols.

On Wednesday, the CNPC announced on social media that the two bodies had been recovered and sent condolences to the miners’ families. The federal Attorney General’s Office (FGR) is participating in an investigation into the incident.

The accident comes almost a year after a collapse at the nearby El Pinabete mine on August 3, 2022, left 10 workers trapped. All 10 died after flooding in the mine made it impossible for rescue crews to reach them. Their bodies have yet to be recovered.

In May, Luis Rafael García Luna Acuña, majority owner of the Pinabete mine, was arrested on illegal mining charges and ordered to stand trial for “unlawful exploitation of an asset belonging to the nation.”

Laura Velázquez Alzúa, federal head of the CNPC, said that the bodies of miners killed last year at the nearby El Pinabete mine may soon be recovered. (CNPC/Facebook)

Laura Velázquez Alzúa, federal head of the CNPC, held a meeting with families of the El Pinabete miners and engineers from the Federal Electricity Commission (CFE) on Monday, in which the families were informed of progress in the excavation of the collapsed mine to recover their loved ones’ remains.

CFE engineers reported that more machinery and personnel had been deployed to accelerate pumping work and construct hydraulic plugs to control water levels in the pit. If the plugs pass efficiency tests, controlled excavations can begin to recover the bodies.

With reports from Sin Embargo, Infobae and Milenio

Have something to say? Paid Subscribers get all access to make & read comments.
sad, unhappy Trump

US Supreme Court strikes down Trump’s tariffs: What does it mean for Mexico?

0
The ruling frees Mexico from paying certain Trump tariffs, such as the "fentanyl tariff" and the "reciprocal tariffs," though other exporting nations will probably get more relief than Mexico.
work on tren maya section 5

In a win for activists, judge halts work on Playa del Carmen-Tulum section of Maya Train

0
The halted stretch of track, by all accounts is the most environmentally sensitive, would complete the connection between Cancún and Tulum.
Oil pumps and a drilling rig at sunset

Mexico weighs ‘sustainable fracking’ to cut dependence on US natural gas

16
President Sheinbaum once vowed never to allow fracking. But now, as Mexico facing deep dependence on U.S. natural gas, fracking is back on the table.
BETA Version - Powered by Perplexity