Another migrants’ caravan left Honduras on Sunday bound for Texas

A second caravan of migrants left Honduras on Sunday with plans to travel through Chiapas, Oaxaca, Veracruz and Tamaulipas to reach the border city of McAllen, Texas.

The Honduran ambassador to Mexico revealed the information in an interview today with broadcaster Grupo Fórmula, in which he also countered claims by United States President Trump that “criminals and unknown Middle Easterners” were among members of the first caravan, now traveling northward through Chiapas.

Alden Rivera Montes said the migrants “are not maras [members of the Mara Salvatrucha, or MS-13 gang], they are not criminals. They are citizens who struggle for a better life and having reached a certain level of frustration over not having social mobility decided to begin the migration.”

Most decided to leave everything behind and migrate from the northern triangle region of Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador, either to look for better job opportunities, flee violence or reunite with relatives, the ambassador said.

He also suggested that a Honduran political party was behind the organization of the caravan, alleging that “with deceptions and lies [the migrants] were told they would get transit visas in Mexico, and that the United States was waiting for them. Our people were misled . . . .”

The second caravan, now traveling through Guatemala, numbers almost 1,000, according to a source in the Guatemala police.

Source: El Financiero (sp), Milenio (sp)

Have something to say? Paid Subscribers get all access to make & read comments.
narcoranch

An infamous Morelos narco ranch will be converted into a school and health center

0
The ranch became a lottery prize after authorities seized it in 2009, but the winner refused to take it over, instead selling it back to the government for an undisclosed amount, clearing the way for its metamorphosis into a community asset.
Marisol "N" and Lourdes "N"

9 alleged CJNG members arrested in Michoacán security operation

0
The CJNG responded to the federal operation by blocking highways in Michoacán at more than 20 points, including by setting vehicles on fire, but most, if not all, of the narco-blockades had been cleared by early Wednesday afternoon.
strawberries

Mexico is fighting a US antidumping tariff on strawberries

1
The U.S. is looking to punish Mexico for allegedly selling "winter strawberries" at prices so far below market value that U.S. producers cannot hope to compete. A ruling against Mexico could threaten thousands of small businesses and 150,000 jobs.
BETA Version - Powered by Perplexity