Cuernavaca mayor-elect’s home target of attack

The mayor-elect of Cuernavaca, Morelos, fears for his life after his home was attacked yesterday by unknown gunmen.

Villalobos said he heard a burst of six gunshots at about 1:40am. After inspecting the gate to his house, he found three bullet holes.

He later told a press conference that the C5 state security force has a surveillance camera installed “a mere seven meters” from his gate, and that he would be filing a formal complaint.

Villalobos said he will also seek protection from the navy.

“I fear for my life but I’m not going to panic, I have no enemies, I don’t owe anyone, I am not a defrauder, the people know me, this is what I’m going through, [someone] is trying to intimidate me.”

Villalobos believes a third party trying to create a confrontation between him and Governor Cuautémoc Blanco Bravo might have been behind the attack.

Blanco, who was mayor of Cuernavaca until he sought the governor’s office, was sworn Monday, has shown his disagreement over Villalobos occupying the mayor’s seat, calling him a “gate-crasher.”

Villalobos was actually an alternate to José Luis Gómez Borbolla whose candidacy was invalidated by election authorities after the parties that put his name forward had a change of heart.

Villalobos went on to win the election as part of the Morena party coalition that swept into power July 1.

Despite their history, Villalobos asserted that he has no problem with the governor.

Source: Milenio (sp)

Have something to say? Paid Subscribers get all access to make & read comments.
narcoranch

An infamous Morelos narco ranch will be converted into a school and health center

0
The ranch became a lottery prize after authorities seized it in 2009, but the winner refused to take it over, instead selling it back to the government for an undisclosed amount, clearing the way for its metamorphosis into a community asset.
Marisol "N" and Lourdes "N"

9 alleged CJNG members arrested in Michoacán security operation

0
The CJNG responded to the federal operation by blocking highways in Michoacán at more than 20 points, including by setting vehicles on fire, but most, if not all, of the narco-blockades had been cleared by early Wednesday afternoon.
strawberries

Mexico is fighting a US antidumping tariff on strawberries

1
The U.S. is looking to punish Mexico for allegedly selling "winter strawberries" at prices so far below market value that U.S. producers cannot hope to compete. A ruling against Mexico could threaten thousands of small businesses and 150,000 jobs.
BETA Version - Powered by Perplexity