Sunday, February 22, 2026

Delay in extradition of ex-governor of Chihuahua labeled ‘act of corruption’

The delay in extraditing former Chihuahua governor César Duarte to face criminal charges is an act of corruption, Mexico’s former top electoral crimes prosecutor charges.

Santiago Nieto, who was fired from his position as chief of the office of the Special Prosecutor for Electoral Crimes (Fepade) in October 2017, made the remark during a panel discussion on political corruption in Chihuahua yesterday.

“More than a year after Fepade obtained an arrest warrant and requested the extradition of the former governor César Duarte, the federal Attorney General’s office (PGR) hasn’t completed the process. I believe that this, in good Spanish, is called corruption,” he said.

Duarte, who was in office between 2010 and 2016, fled to the United States in March 2017 and is believed to be living in El Paso, Texas. He is accused of corruption and illicit enrichment.

In August the Chihuahua Auditor’s Office filed criminal charges against Duarte and 42 officials who served during his administration for the embezzlement of 6 billion pesos (US $317 million).

Chihuahua authorities have also seized ranches and properties that allegedly belong to the fugitive ex-governor.

Nieto said that apart from the PGR, the only other government department that can formally request his extradition is the Secretariat of Foreign Affairs (SRE). He accused both departments of acting corruptly by not exercising that power.

He also said that it was regrettable that the current federal government has failed to appoint an anti-corruption prosecutor.

President-elect López Obrador has pledged that he will fill the position by the time he is sworn in on December 1.

Nieto has been chosen to head the Finance Secretariat’s Financial Intelligence Unit in the new administration and has vowed to reopen the corruption investigation involving Brazilian construction company Odebrecht.

Source: Milenio (sp) 

Have something to say? Paid Subscribers get all access to make & read comments.
Smoke billows above puerto vallarta

State, foreign governments issue shelter-in-place warnings as narco-blockades spread after cartel leader’s death

0
Following the death of one of Mexico's most-wanted cartel bosses, Mexico, the U.S., Canada, and other nations issued shelter-in-place alerts as blockades and arson swept across multiple Mexican states.
The entrance to the GDL airport

Airlines suspend some Jalisco flights due to security concerns; Bus service affected across the country

6
After videos of panic inside the Guadalajara International Airport spread on social media, the airport operator acknowledged "hysteria among passengers" but said that there had been no security incidents.
cjng chief El Mencho

Jalisco cartel chief ‘El Mencho’ killed in Mexican Army operation

4
El Mencho, the feared founder of Mexico's powerful Jalisco New Generation Cartel, has been killed by federal forces — triggering roadblocks, vehicle burnings and unrest across at least six states.
BETA Version - Powered by Perplexity