Saturday, June 15, 2024

Gas leak confirmed as cause of death of US couple

A faulty, gas-powered water heater caused the death of a couple from the United States last month, authorities have confirmed.

The prosecutor’s office in Guanajuato said on Friday that two people on vacation in San Miguel de Allende died of asphyxiation from propane gas.

The victims have been identified as Edward Winders and Barbara Moller, both 76, of New Orleans, Louisiana, who were staying in a rented apartment when a gas leak occurred.

The owner of the apartment notified emergency personnel on November 17 after noticing a strong odor of gas in the vicinity.

It was the second time this year that visitors on vacation in Mexico have died as a result of faulty gas heaters. A couple and their two children died in a condominium in Tulum, Quintana Roo, last March.

Source: Periódico AM (sp), Associated Press (en)

Have something to say? Paid Subscribers get all access to make & read comments.
Two damaged SUVs after a car accident.

President-elect Sheinbaum unharmed after a deadly accident involving her motorcade

0
The crash killed an elderly woman and injured another person. No injuries were reported among Sheinbaum and her team.
Young fruit seller looks at his cell phone in Mexico City

Over 80% of Mexicans are now internet users, up 9.7 points from 2020

0
Connectivity has increased steadily in Mexico, particularly among the young, though there is still a digital divide between urban and rural areas.
A lake with low water levels in Toluca

Below-average rainfall worsens drought conditions as Mexico awaits summer rains

2
The country is in the grip of one of the worst droughts in the last decade, with half the usual amount of rain so far this year.