Tuesday, February 17, 2026

Water pressure reduced in Monterrey metro area to avoid cuts

The Monterrey Water and Drainage Service (SADM) has reduced water pressure in some parts of the metropolitan area of the Nuevo León capital as it seeks to avoid having to cut supply, as it was forced to do last year.

SADM director Juan Ignacio Barragán said that water pressure has been reduced — mainly at night — in 25-30% of the Monterrey metropolitan area. Parts of the municipalities of Apodaca, Guadalupe, Escobedo, Juárez, García, Pesquería and El Carmen are affected.

Barragán said that water pressure is generally reduced from about 6 p.m., but the change is not noticeable in homes until around 8 p.m. Water pressure returns to normal from about 4:30 a.m. so as not to affect people who need to shower in the morning, he said.

Barragán said that water pressure may also be reduced at certain times during the day.

The measure will apply across the metropolitan area of Monterrey by May, the water utility chief said, explaining that it helps reduce water consumption.

“We know there are people who get annoyed by this situation, and we ask them for understanding, because we don’t want to face a situation like that we faced last year,” Barragán said.

The introduction of the measure — which could be modified later in the year depending on the amount of rainfall received in the coming months — comes after SADM was last year forced to cut water supply for all but six hours per day in the metropolitan area of Monterrey due to severe water shortages precipitated by drought.

Some Monterrey residents even undertook “pilgrimages” in search of water in 2022 due to the harsh restrictions implemented in the metropolitan area of Monterrey.

The dust and mud of a dry resevoir with a small amount of water visible in the distance. Even farther away in the background dry, rocky mountains are visible.
La Boca dam, one of Monterrey’s water sources, seen here in March 2022. So far this year, dam water levels are lower than they were at the same time last year. File photo

Barragán said that other steps are being taken to avoid having to resort to water supply cuts this year. They include repairing leaks and incorporating new wells into the city’s water system.

In addition, a new aqueduct to convey water to Monterrey from the El Cuchillo dam in eastern Nuevo León will begin operating in the middle of the year.

“We don’t want to cut [water supply], cuts are very damaging, even for the [water] network,” Barragán said. “Cuts will always be our last alternative.”

Citing dam levels, the SADM director said that the water supply situation remains difficult. He also noted that below-average rain is forecast in the first quarter of 2023.

However, Barragán expressed confidence that rainfall will increase in April, and that the water situation won’t become as dire as it did last year.

With reports from El Norte and La Jornada 
Have something to say? Paid Subscribers get all access to make & read comments.
a group of mothers protesting at the Mazatlán Carnival

Mothers of Sinaloa’s missing protest during Mazatlán Carnival

0
Taking advantage of the visibility enjoyed by what is considered one of the best carnivals in Mexico, more than 100 women marched in silence, displaying banners with the names of their missing loved ones to the thousands of people who had gathered to see the parade floats.

MND Local Guadalajara: Airport expansion, demolition of historic mansions and a noise crackdown

0
Is Colonia Americana losing its soul? Learn why many of Guadalajara's historic buildings in a popular expat neighborhood are being destroyed for new high-density buildings. Plus, news on the expansion of GDL's international airport.
Low light view. Many large white tanks chemical packaging inside of the factory.

Authorities seize 100+ tank trucks, 82,000 liters of stolen fuel in Veracruz bust

2
The bust was carried out across four properties in Minatitlán, Veracruz, home to Mexico's oldest oil refinery.
BETA Version - Powered by Perplexity