Sunday, February 22, 2026

16 soldiers arrested in Nuevo Laredo extrajudicial killings case

Sixteen soldiers have been arrested and ordered to stand trial on charges related to the alleged murder of five men in Nuevo Laredo, Tamaulipas, last month.

Security camera footage disseminated by the media last week provided compelling evidence that soldiers executed presumed criminals they had already disarmed — and attempted to cover up their crime.

Footage of military killing civilians in Nuevo Laredo
Video footage that circulated online appears to show soldiers shooting the five men after they had already disarmed them. (Twitter)

President López Obrador said last Wednesday that it appeared there had been an “execution” on May 18 and pledged that the culprits would be punished.

The Ministry of National Defense (Sedena) said in a statement Saturday that the Military Justice Prosecutor’s Office last Thursday arrested 16 soldiers involved in the incident.

It said that a military court granted warrants for the arrest of the soldiers on charges they committed “crimes contrary to military discipline.”

A military judge ruled last Friday that the soldiers must face trial and remain in preventive detention, Sedena said. They are being held in a Mexico City military prison.

Sedena said that the arrest of the soldiers and the judge’s ruling that they must stand trial are “independent” of an investigation being carried out by the Federal Attorney General’s Office. Cases of alleged military abuses against civilians are heard in civilian courts, meaning that the soldiers could face a separate trial on murder charges in a civil proceedings.

The apparent massacre in Nuevo Laredo on May 18 occurred less than three months after soldiers killed five other apparently unarmed men in the northern border city. Federal prosecutors in April formally accused four of those soldiers of murder.

Mexico News Daily 

Have something to say? Paid Subscribers get all access to make & read comments.
Sheinbaum and two Mexican generals observe a military band on Army Day in Puebla

Mexico’s week in review: Sheinbaum says no to the US — and yes to Canada

1
The third week of February was a busy one for Mexico as it courted Canada, rebuffed Trump, racked up drug busts and caught a Supreme Court break on tariffs. Here are the week's biggest stories.

MND Local: Is San Miguel de Allende about to receive passenger rail service?

0
Is San Miguel de Allende set to get passenger rail service? President Sheinbaum says yes.
sad, unhappy Trump

US Supreme Court strikes down Trump’s tariffs: What does it mean for Mexico?

15
The ruling frees Mexico from paying certain Trump tariffs, such as the "fentanyl tariff" and the "reciprocal tariffs," though other exporting nations will probably get more relief than Mexico.
BETA Version - Powered by Perplexity