Sunday, February 22, 2026

Aeroméxico to scale down Europe service due to coronavirus

Aeroméxico has announced that it will reduce the frequency of its flights to Europe by 40% in the face of the pandemic of the coronavirus known as Covid-19.

In an internal letter to the company’s collaborators, director general Andrés Conesa said that it is one of the hardest moments in the company’s history.

“I can say without a doubt that this has been the most difficult thing I’ve ever experienced,” said Conesa.

He also announced that he would reduce his own salary by 20% during the crisis in order to free up more resources to get through the tough time.

The major routes that have been reduced are Madrid, from 17 to seven flights; Barcelona, from five to three; Paris, from 11 to seven; London, from seven to five; and Amsterdam, also from seven to five flights. The modified frequencies are scheduled from March 17 to April 30.

Some passengers have already had their flights changed, and Aeroméxico is asking them to contact customer service only if they are not happy with the change.

“If your flight was rescheduled and you’re OK with the new flight, be at the airport three hours before departure. In this case, it’s not necessary to contact us,” the company said in a message to passengers.

Its phone customer service is giving priority to those who have flights in the next 72 hours, so it is asking those whose flights are later to consult the website first.

Flights to and from China have seen a much steeper dropoff since the outbreak of the coronavirus. Only 835 passengers flew between the two countries in January, a drop of 89.6% from January 2019.

Only one airline — China Southern Airlines — provides service between Mexico and China. Aeroméxico formerly offered service but stopped last year when it cancelled its route to Shanghai.

In addition to the coronavirus scare, Aeroméxico and other airlines are also dealing with the financial hit of not being able to use the Boeing 737 Max plane after taking it out of service in March of last year.

Sources: El Economista (sp), El Financiero (sp), Milenio (sp), El Heraldo (sp)

Have something to say? Paid Subscribers get all access to make & read comments.
Smoke billows above puerto vallarta

State, foreign governments issue shelter-in-place warnings as narco-blockades spread after cartel leader’s death

0
Following the death of one of Mexico's most-wanted cartel bosses, Mexico, the U.S., Canada, and other nations issued shelter-in-place alerts as blockades and arson swept across multiple Mexican states.
The entrance to the GDL airport

Airlines suspend some Jalisco flights due to security concerns; Bus service affected across the country

6
After videos of panic inside the Guadalajara International Airport spread on social media, the airport operator acknowledged "hysteria among passengers" but said that there had been no security incidents.
cjng chief El Mencho

Jalisco cartel chief ‘El Mencho’ killed in Mexican Army operation

4
El Mencho, the feared founder of Mexico's powerful Jalisco New Generation Cartel, has been killed by federal forces — triggering roadblocks, vehicle burnings and unrest across at least six states.
BETA Version - Powered by Perplexity