Monday, February 16, 2026

Military not required to inform police of arrests, Supreme Court rules

The Supreme Court (SCJN) has ruled that the military doesn’t need to report arrests it makes to civilian security authorities.

The court’s ruling on Tuesday came in response to a claim of unconstitutionality filed by the National Human Rights Commission (CNDH) against part of the National Law on the Registration of Arrests.

The CNDH challenged the law on the basis that it excused the military of the responsibility to report the arrest of presumed criminals. The commission argued that the right to legal certainty, among other rights, and the principle of legality could be violated by the absence of that responsibility.

However, the SCJN ruled that under the National Law on the Registration of Arrests, the military itself is obliged to immediately register the detentions they complete in the relevant database. Therefore, the armed forces must be given access to the arrest registry, the court said in a statement.

It ruled that the military — which has been authorized to carry out public security tasks until 2028 — “is not obliged to give notice of an arrest to a police authority so that said authority creates the registration.”

Independent Senator Emilio Álvarez Icaza slammed the Supreme Court’s ruling in a Twitter post.

“The @SCJN established today that the armed forces … [carrying out] security tasks are not obliged to inform a police authority of the arrest of a person. And it leaves the registration [of an arrest] up to the goodwill of the military. Military opacity to violate human rights now has legal endorsement. Grave,” he wrote.

The non-government organization Human Rights Watch recently warned that the federal government’s militarized security policy risks facilitating abuses by security forces while failing to reduce violent crime.

However, a poll conducted late last year indicated that almost three-quarters of Mexicans agree with the government’s plan to continue using the armed forces for public security tasks until 2028.

With reports from El Universal, El Financiero and Infobae 

Have something to say? Paid Subscribers get all access to make & read comments.
News quiz

The MND News Quiz of the Week: February 15th

0
Skaters, soccer stadia and sporting heroes: Have you been paying attention to the news this week?
Hombres juegan una partida de ajedrez en la Alameda Central, en el Centro Histórico, donde de manera habitual se reúnen los viernes

Mexico’s week in review: El Paso fiasco and China’s courtship complicate the diplomatic landscape

0
The grim discovery of the kidnapped miners' bodies in Concordia, Sinaloa, cast a dark shadow over a week already clouded by conflicting narratives from Washington, Beijing and Mexico City on matters of trade and security.
funeral in Zacatecas for miner

Sheinbaum casts doubt on ‘mistaken identity’ theory of Sinaloa miners’ abduction  

2
With five victims confirmed dead and five still missing, the president promised that investigators haven't ruled out the possibility of an extortion attempt gone wrong.
BETA Version - Powered by Perplexity