Monday, February 16, 2026

School hazing ceremony suspected in death of Durango student

A 19-year-old student died early this morning in Durango after a suspected hazing at a rural teacher training college.

Ronaldo Mujica Morales was admitted to hospital on Monday in the state capital and remained in serious condition until his death.

One report said the induction ceremony at the Guadalupe J. Aguilera normal school entailed eating whole eggs including the shell, drinking alcoholic beverages, doing extreme exercises and eating spicy foods over the course of seven days. Students were also deprived of sleep during that time.

The director of the school, located in Canatlán, has been suspended while the incident is under investigation.

The director of a local hospital told a reporter that eight aspiring teachers had been admitted to the hospital over a five-day period with injuries incurred during the week-long hazing.

It is the second hazing incident in three weeks at a teacher training college.

One student died and two others were left with kidney damage after a hazing at the Mactumactzá college in Tuxtla Gutiérrez, Chiapas, July 21.

The director of the school is in custody on homicide charges.

Source: La Crónica (sp), La Prensa (sp)

Have something to say? Paid Subscribers get all access to make & read comments.
News quiz

The MND News Quiz of the Week: February 15th

0
Skaters, soccer stadia and sporting heroes: Have you been paying attention to the news this week?
Hombres juegan una partida de ajedrez en la Alameda Central, en el Centro Histórico, donde de manera habitual se reúnen los viernes

Mexico’s week in review: El Paso fiasco and China’s courtship complicate the diplomatic landscape

0
The grim discovery of the kidnapped miners' bodies in Concordia, Sinaloa, cast a dark shadow over a week already clouded by conflicting narratives from Washington, Beijing and Mexico City on matters of trade and security.
funeral in Zacatecas for miner

Sheinbaum casts doubt on ‘mistaken identity’ theory of Sinaloa miners’ abduction  

2
With five victims confirmed dead and five still missing, the president promised that investigators haven't ruled out the possibility of an extortion attempt gone wrong.
BETA Version - Powered by Perplexity